The Text Neck Epidemic is Spreading
The Text Neck epidemic is spreading far and wide! Children as young as seven years old are using mobile devices and developing the condition. Almost anywhere you go, you will most likely see someone texting on their phone or maybe playing a game on their tablet. With the rise of technology such as new smartphones, laptops, and tablets, Text Neck has become a more common occurrence. The condition is most often seen in teenagers, but even younger children are starting to show signs of it.
What is Text Neck?
- Text Neck is often the result of looking down at a cell phone, tablet, or other electronic device for multiple hours each day.
- The bending forward of the neck for extended periods of time puts stress on the cervical curve which could lead to changes in the normal forward curve.
- Doctors have found that by looking down at devices, people are increasing the weight placed on their neck further aggravating the condition.
Why does it matter?
- Text Neck can cause several symptoms including neck pain, stiffness, headaches, numbness and/or tingling sensations, arm pain, and back pain.
- The abnormality in the cervical spine curvature can add stress to the spinal cord and the carotid arteries, which may lead to issues such as dizziness, fatigue, nervousness, and changes in blood pressure.
- The stress from Text Neck may also affect the release of endorphins and serotonin, which could result in anxiety.
What can I do to avoid Text Neck?
- When texting, hold your phone at eye level.
- Raise your computer monitor to eye level.
- Avoid using your laptop, tablet, or phone while lying down.
- Avoid looking down at your devices for extended periods of time.
- Keep your head up!
Help yourself avoid Text Neck by following the above tips and encourage your kids to follow them as well when using their electronic devices!
If you think your child is dealing with symptoms of Text Neck contact us at South Florida Scoliosis Center 305-705-0777, or visit www.southfloridascoliosiscenter.com.
South Florida Scoliosis Center is the only CLEAR Scoliosis Treatment Center in the South Florida area in addition to being one in only 18 worldwide clinics to offer Intensive Care Scoliosis Treatment.
South Florida Scoliosis Center draws patients from the entire state as well as from countries abroad.